Saturday, June 5, 2010

Canning Veggies!

I'm canning veggies!  And loving it!

A couple of years ago I canned 12 quarts of corn and tossed most of it because after 6 months I didn't like the looks of it.  So I've been hesitant to try it again.  But after MUCH research I've discovered my errors and have been excited to try it again.  (1) You don't use table salt, it does discolor your results.  Thus the reason they make "Preserving Salt".  (2) Don't push the head space limit - a huge NO NO... 

Yesterday as my trial I canned 7 pints of zipper peas, with one failure.  Only one pint didn't seal, and I know what I did wrong.  Filled it too high.  Not enough head space - again!  We're having zipper peas with dinner today!  :-)

So today, I'm getting ready to can the rest of my zipper peas, probably about 10 more pints, along with about 17 pints of white acre peas, and that much or more in corn!  I'm so excited!  I'm heating my first batch of jars now, so I don't have much time to write!

I'll post a picture of my success later!  :-)

Bon Apetite!

1 comment:

Kim & Stace said...

hey Tonya! did you get my voicemail a week or so ago? I am worried because the number I have may be an old one, and the voicemail was just a generic recording so I don't know if it was yours or someone else's phone I called! haha! But I had just left a womens conference and I was thinking of you and missing you and wanted to check in with ya (bc its been too long!). I fear I left a heartfelt voicemail with a stranger! ha! oops:) what is your number? Maybe I have the right one, but I just want to be sure! :) Love you forever!!!