Friday, August 19, 2011

Migraine Home Remedy

Ok. I have to share this.  I suffer from migraines.  Really bad.  Several per week.  Like, almost daily.

A co-worker told me about a home migraine remedy that he heard about.

BRAIN FREEZE.  Self inflicted...

You know what a brain freeze is, right?  That painful quick headache you get with ice cream or a milkshake?  Well, I tried it.  I didn't have access to ice cream or a milkshake, but I tried it with an Icee.  I couldn't give myself a brain freeze, but I have to say within 20-30 minutes of starting it, I realized that the migraine was a dull headache.  One hour from my first sip of the Icee, the migraine was gone.  Yep! GONE. 

The next night, I was getting another migraine, but again, didn't have access to ice cream - or an Icee - so I improvised.  I took crushed ice, poured just enough kool-aid in it to make it Icee-ish.  I could not give myself a braine freeze, again.  But -- Migraine gone.  Gone.  Again.

The following morning, I woke up with a migraine.  Whenever I wake up with a migraine -- Bad News.  I tried my home made Icee again.  Nope.  Didn't work this time.  Had to take my toxic meds.

Fast forward to later in the day, early evening.  Here comes another one.  Since I was on my way home and coming up on Wendy's, I swing in and get a yummy oreo Frosty - boy was it yummy! - anyhow, I eat it as fast as possible, trying to get that brain freeze fix.  Nope, not gonna happen.  BUT!!  The migraine...  GONE!!  It took about 45 minutes, but gone.

That's 3 out of 4 migraines treated with ice cold items.  The one that didn't go away...  Well, not much helps the ones I wake up with.  It usually takes my toxic meds - sometimes 2, and sleeping it off.

Will I continue to try to give myself a brain freeze when a migraine comes on?  Yes, I will.  I think the reason I cannot give myself one is because my body temp drops when I have a migraine...  Making it closer to the cold drinks temp.  I guess....  But, I will try it again. 

Do you get migraines?  What do you do to find relief?




2 comments:

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Tonya - Great news and I am so glad it is helping - who would have thought... Just wanted to swing by and let you know you were selected as the winner of the Love Book giveaway. Please send me an email when you get a chance to claim your prize. Hope you are enjoying your summer - have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Vicky said...

I suffered from menstrual migraines for years as well as migraines brought on by certain smells(Perfumes, mold, etc). For some reason, it was heat application that helped the most.And also, when I hit the vomiting stage, that was instant relief. I have been blessed as I am older, that I rarely get hit with one. But I have noticed pseudoephedrine , I usually take an Aleve D, will almost always work. Have you been able to identify any triggers for your migraines? Other triggers for me were lack of sleep, and hot, sunny weather. I am going to pass your ice cold remedy on to one of my daughters....she has been having a time lately.