Monday, August 6, 2012

No more dieting! Changing the way I eat.

"Experts say making small change-ups to your day is one of the best ways to lose." (http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20543929,00.html)

I just read this in an article and I completely agree with it! Diets fail me. I have tried the Atkins diet - and was told by my doc to never do it again. Yep, he sure did! My body requires carbs - as does yours! The Atkins diet restricts consumption of carbs. Rather than my body burning the fat as this diet claims it does, my body was burning my muscles. Less than two weeks into it I couldn't bear to move one muscle because my muscles would go into spasms. Every muscle was being affected. I was concerned (and freaked out!) so I called my doc. Thats when he said stop, eat some pasta and do not do this diet ever again. That was the BEST bowl of 'puh-sketti' EVER! :D

Now I am watching my intake rather than "dieting". My biggest weakness? Cola and chocolate. What am I doing about it? Well, I was restricting myself to one Coke a day. And I bought the fun-size Snickers. With the itty-bitty bars I didn't feel so guilty if I ate 3 Snickers bars in one day. That's only 128-calories as opposed to a full-size bar at 280-calories! Love it!

But I failed recently. I was off work for a week and a half. Before I was off I had lost a total of 13-pounds (in about 9-10 weeks) but I didn't hit the gym during that time (well, one time, and that's all) & I didn't restrict my Coke intake. During those 12 days I quickly found 3 of those pounds. YIKES!!! BUMMER!!! I am now newly motivated to re-engage and get those 3-pounds lost again.

Back to the carbs -- don't think you have to restrict yourself from carbs when trying to lose the weight. Studies have proven there are good carbs as well as bad, evil, hip-hugging ones. You just have to educate yourself and make smarter choices. You can't go wrong with whole grain. They even help you lose weight because of the fiber and the "Resistant Starch" contained in them. I love reading and my topic of choice lately: GOOD CARBS. :D

3 comments:

Vicky said...

5 dark chocolate Hershey Kisses a day! That's part of my secret. Also went to Diet Dr. Pepper. I was having much inflammation in my body and as I have cut the sugar out, it is so much better! I am now substituting V8 juice, which I love for Diet Dr. Pepper. I agree with you about the Atkins Diet...years ago we did that. I felt so unwell, like I was about to die...it was weird. I stopped that immediately. I enjoyed this!

Vicky said...

Oh I forgot to add about the 30 almonds a day. There's been a few studies on this recently. They really fill me up and have helped lower my triglycerides for the first time in years. My gums are in great shape and my dental people think it's the almonds. I've got everybody at work eating almonds now. LOL! They also help my magnesium level which I struggle with.

Vicky said...

I tried to post this once, but don't think it worked. The chocolate animal crackers from Wal-Mart are great to appease a craving. 13 crackers for only 100 calories.Coworkers have these on their desks too!